Want to calm your high-anxiety dog?
Does your dog have problems settling down? Does your dog pace, lick compulsively, drool, bark or whine continuously? These are signs that your dog is stressed.
While there is no magic spell or miracle drug that can instantly de-stress your dog, there are several techniques that can help alleviate some (& maybe all) of that anxiety.
First, use your dog’s obedience commands to get his mind off whatever is causing his stress. For example, if your dog becomes nervous at the vet, work some commands like Heel, Let’s Go, Come & other moving commands before you get him into the car & then again before you take him into the building; this will help to dissipate some of his adrenaline. It’s difficult for dogs to move, think & worry at the same time. If your dog doesn’t know some basic moving commands, find a trainer that can help you.
Get help from a Certified Professional Trainer near Cleveland, Ohio. I provide customized, in-home dog training in clients’ homes, neighborhood & nearby parks in Cleveland’s east side suburbs.
Secondly, be your dog’s Pack Leader. What does this mean? Be confident, respectful & most importantly make all of the decisions for your dog. This is a hard task for many people when it comes to an anxious dog. Our human instincts are to comfort & coddle a fearful dog. Unfortunately, that just locks in the mindset that there really IS something to be afraid of… even my human feels it! The key: act as you want your dog to act… happy, upbeat, in control & confident.
Lastly, invest in some premium-quality all-natural essential oils from Young Living. The use of all-natural plant-extracted essential oils date back to ancient Biblical times & are still highly regarded by holistic veterinarians & human wellness practitioners.
But buyer beware! The brands that you may find in drugstore & discount stores are NOT premium grade. In fact, the reason they are “cheaper” is because they contain artificial additives; therefore, they will not smell the same, nor will they be as effective as those from Young Living Essential Oils.
Young Living started small in 1993, when D. Gary Young & Mary Young developed their first herb farming and distillation operation. Fueled by a growing demand for top-quality essential oils, Young Living designed and built the largest, most technologically advanced essential oil distillery in North America.
In harmony with these efforts, Young Living developed its groundbreaking Seed to Seal® standard that ensures verifiable purity and authenticity in each drop of essential oil. This ensures you’ll get better results, and by using less!
Young Living Essential Oils — so premium, a little goes a long way!
- A 5-ml bottle contains approximately 85 drops!
- A 15-ml bottle contains approximately 250 drops!
Today, Young Living offers hundreds of pure, premium-grade essential oils, including a (human) dietary line called Vitality, personal wellness products including soaps, lotions, skin care, hair & oral care, targeted nutrition supplements & natural cleaning products for your laundry & whole home.
The line I am particularly interested in, of course, is Young Living’s special line dedicated to animal wellness. These essential oil-based items are approved by the Veterinary Advisory Council, the Animal Conference & the Animal Desk Reference.
Here are just a few of my Young Living Essential Oil favorites, their beneficial purposes & how to use them safely with/around your dog:
- AromaEase — cool, minty, relaxing aroma; diffuse throughout your home.
- Grounding — a balancing blend for hyper/anxious dogs that need to return to Earth; diffuse throughout your home.
- Peace & Calming — the name speaks for itself; diffuse throughout your home or dilute with fractionated coconut oil, rub on your wrists & legs when hanging out with your dog. I like to diffuse this one in my car, too.
- Lavender — the key ingredient in many of the “calming” blends; sprinkle a couple of drops on your dog’s bedding or collar.
- Stress Away — my personal favorite, combining energizing lime & soothing vanilla; diffuse or dilute with fractionated coconut oil and rub on your wrists, neck & chest.
Young Living Essential Oils Specially Formulated for Animals
- Animal Scents Puri Clean –– Step 1 for healthy skin; cleanses the skin.
- Animal Scents Mendwell — Step 2; apply to affected area to support wound healing.
- Animal Scents Infect Away — the final step in a 3-part skin care system.
- Animal Scents T-Away — supports a new level of emotional freedom
Other pet-approved Young Living Essential Oil items that should be on your must-have list:
- Animal Scents Repelaroma — purifying & invigorating Citronella, Idaho Tansy, Palo Santo & Tea Tree essential oils help your dog love being outside.
- Animal Scents Dental Pet Chews — promote dental & digestive health in a tasty treat.
- Animal Scents Shampoo — cleans, conditions & protects your dog’s coat without harmful ingredients.